Thursday, November 17, 2011

San Lorenzo Canyon

We did a bit of exploring while down at Bosque Del Apache, too! One of the places we explored was the San Lorenzo Canyon. It's a small canyon just a wee bit north of Socorro, New Mexico. It's really cool because you can drive down the canyon (assuming you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, or a front wheel drive vehicle and it was dry like it was this day), stopping to explore the "branches" of the canyon on foot. I loved the above shot of Miki, our German Shepherd. We came to the end of one of the canyon "branches" and found Miki sitting in a shallow sort of bowl carved into the ground. It's a dry waterfall. I guess, during some really heavy monsoon rains, this little "branch" is a bit of a waterfall and river!


Here's Jeff exploring another of the "branches". Yes, he climbed up the rocks that are in the photo between me and him. And, yes, I managed to climb them, too, after I took this shot. I have to admit, I wasn't as sure-footed as him, tho! I'm not sure why, but I just don't feel like I have a very good center of gravity while climbing up rocks - maybe because I'm worried about banging my camera??? In any event, the "path" we were following went on a little way from here, beyond the little patch of green behind Jeff (which was actually a small shrub).


I had to include this shot just because I love the sort of flow the image has. I was hoping to capture the feeling of the lines created by years of weathering the canyon has withstood, and hopefully, I've accomplished that. I also feel the little green grasses help to lead you into the image. On a more practical side, if I had more mountain goat in me, I think we might have been able to climb thru here, but I didn't suggest it, and Jeff didn't argue with me!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment